Krark and Reyhan - Landfall and +1+1 counters looking for feedback and advice.

cardhock avatarcardhock 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey there!\n\nAbout 2 months ago i decided to try to build a deck that was a different take on the potential partner combinations.\n\nMy current landfall, +1+1 counters deck is the result of it. \n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/5843392/gambling_with_lands"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/5843392/gambling_with_lands"},{"insert":"\n\nGamble your ramps spells with krark to potentially hit even more landfall triggers, tutor 2 cards instead of one or draw double the amounts of cards.\n\nThe core value focus here are the landfall triggers we usually find in the colors given, with a side focus of creature tokens and +1+1 counters.\nReyhan together with sac outlets can move around +1+1 counters and potentially keep doubling those counters with Branching Evolutions and Doubling season, for exponentially bigger and bigger creatures. Do this moving of counters as a combat trick on an unblocked creature, or fling your creatures at your opponents with various effects.\n\n\nOverall the deck does what it should do, when it gets running it most often ends up completely exploding. It has plenty of ways of winning and the mana is plenty. \n\nMy biggest grief is that it feels a bit clunky to operate.\nI was sincerely hoping someone could help identify why it feels this clunky, and hopefully some kind soul could point me in a good direction.\n\nAny suggestions in regards to removing certain cards, replacing or adding is warmly welcomed.\n\nThank you so much for taking the time to read my post and hopefully giving the decklist a look.\n\nCheers! \n"}]}
Edited 12/21/2023, 3:52:06 PM
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"It looks like you built 2 decks. smashed them together and now you're trying to make the thing tick. \n\nMeanwhile Krark is bouncing half your spells. \n\nI think you need to either adjust your expectations for how the deck works, or go back to the drawing board. Some decks are just objectively clunky. \n"}]}
cardhock avatarcardhock 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Thanks alot for taking the time to write a comment, appreciate it!\n\nI think you are right, i probably just have to align my expectations.\nIt is probably the issue of having two different focus areas that makes cards feel less relevant at certain times of the game.\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 4 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Cardhock,\n\nPiandao has unfortunately identified the main issue - the premise destroys itself. However! Never fear, being an avid enjoyer of a little silliness myself, I have a couple thoughts and suggestions to help improve the deck, while keeping the spirit of it. These thoughts and suggestions follow a few main concepts:\n\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Cast triggers (which result in more casts)!"},{"insert":"\nYou wanna get the Krark value but he's trolling you a little too hard? Never fear! One simple trick is to use a bunch of different cast-based enchantments - a specialty of red.\nThings that do this which I would personally recommend are Sunbird's Invocation, or Possibility Storm.\nPossibility Storm is somewhat of a gamble, as it means all spells cast from hand get turned into something else, but with Krark, it is actually quite good; you either get to put the instant/sorcery back in hand, and get a new one as well, which you may either get to copy or put in hand, OR, you get to copy the original, get a new one, and copy it too. 3 spells for the price of 1 is always good value. \nSunbird's will be less effective, as you're at best going 4 cards deep using something like a Skyshroud Claim, but at the same time, if you DO hit your ramp spells, then you're strictly getting more value, so it doesn't really have a downside - worth experimenting about whether it's worth running, anyway. \nAnother cast based enchantment which may work quite well is Arcane Bombardment, but I don't have a great history of using it personally, so you'll have to be the judge of that. You may also find Knowledge Pool interesting, but it can be a little tedious, and its interactions a little complex. \n\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Copy effects"},{"insert":"\nCopying whatever it is you're casting means you'll always get some amount of payoff, even if Krark puts what you cast back into hand. As such, here is a Scryfall (a useful website) search you may find useful for tracking down those types of effects which are attached to permanents:\no:copy (o:instant OR o:sorcery OR o:ability) commander:rbg legal:commander -o:activated is:permanent\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"You can also use this with Archidekt Syntax Search"},{"insert":"\nSome noteworthy cards in there are Pyromancer's Goggles, Dual Casting, Double Vision, and Chandra, Hope's Beacon, but those are just my quick take aways. \nWith those sorts of effects, you'll often find that having Krark but the spells back into your hand is better, as it means you can trigger them all over again next time you use them. If you're going to be copying and casting, then a Storm Kiln Artist would also go a long way to keeping that value engine going, or a Birgi, God of Storytelling (ideally both)\n\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Krark Clones"},{"insert":"\nOne of the other ways to use Krark to his fullest it to have multiple of him. The reason being, that when you cast an instant, you will get 2 cast triggers. The ideal outcome is that one fails, and one succeeds, resulting in the original spell being put back into hand, AS WELL as it being copied. This means you effectively get to cast cards without spending them. If both succeed? 3 copies sounds nice to me. If both fail? Ouch. But the point is, there are now 2 favourable outcomes out of 3, rather than just 1 out of 2. It may not seem like a huge difference, but when you actually play it out, you'll see what I mean.\nCards that can do this in Jund are limited, but some noteworthy ones are Helm of The Host, Mirage Mirror (if you have a way to ignore the legendary rule), and Mirror Pool are all solid picks. I would say Helm of the host would be the most reliable, unless you want to invest 5 or so cards just to cloning, as being able to reliably find a way to turn off the Legend rule AS WELL AS your clone effects would be tedious.\n\nWhile not the most elegant, these suggestions should hopefully provide you with some useful ways to either make the deck better, more fun, or even clunkier! The line between jank and clunk is often very thing, so it may take some fiddling to find a balance you're happy with, but I hope you do! \n Happy brewing! \n\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"P.s Recross the Paths is a pet favourite ramp spell of mine - give it a think"},{"insert":"\n"}]}