I have no clue what I am doing.

GRodrigue avatarGRodrigue 2 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey guys,\n\nHope all is well. So, I got interested in playing MTG when I was deployed and now that we are back, I decided to learn. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing but a few friends I went got me some cards to get setup. I am sending the collection to you guys and if you have any tips are advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I figured I have enough for a standard deck, but I think the shops around here are pretty big commander nights and I'd figured I can get some practice. I would appreciate if you guys can check it out and help me decipher what I am working with. I appreciate it.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/collection/v2/461120"},"insert":"GRodrigue's Collection - Archidekt"},{"insert":"\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Here is the link to the collection with some sorting and explanations in the description. I don't propose how to use these cards to build a single deck (I think they are too varied) but I do make two proposals: build a food deck around Butterbur or acquire a pre-con around food strategies that you can maybe make a few substitutions with.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/8432450/grodrigue_collection"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/8432450/grodrigue_collection"},{"insert":"\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"I'll have a look today and arrange the cards by strategy for you and then put some information that can help you with building a deck. \n\nAs is already mentioned in the other comments, starting with a precon is typically best as you will start with all the basic pieces you need, but not all precons are equal. What matters more is usually finding a commander that looks cool to you and then building up knowledge by watching YouTube videos to see how others build around the commander.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hey fellow service member. Welcome home. \n\nStart by playing the tutorial on Arena. It's the best free way to learn the basics. \n\nThen delete Arena. After the tutorial it is hands down the worst thing in "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Magic"},{"insert":".\n\nWith a small collection and a consistent friend group, I would try building some 40-card theme decks and jamming them against your friends. Your group can self regulate and balance the experience within your available cardpool.\n\nIf you get into Commander, try a precon. I love deckbuilding, but the precons these days are great for getting your foot in the door with both gameplay and expanding your collection. \n"}]}
Edited 7/12/2024, 2:44:14 AM
darkconfidnt avatardarkconfidnt 59 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"Welcome! To start, I'd suggest sticking with just 2 colors, since the deck will be more consistent (especially if you don't have much mana fixing). \nBased on your collection, I think you're bested suited towards a BR commander (helmed by "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sauron, the Lidless Eye"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Uglúk of the White Hand"}},{"insert":", or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"The Balrog, Flame of Udûn"}},{"insert":"), and adding nearly every one of your B and R cards (i.e. "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/collection/v2/461120?colors=Black%2CRed%2CColorless&cardSearch=true"},"insert":"this filter"},{"insert":"). For a 100 card deck, aim for ~40 lands, ~30-35 creatures, and ~25-30 other spells (there are plenty of deck templates out there too, but given your starting collection, you don't have much 'ramp', hence my simple suggestions here). You might be slightly short of those numbers, but check w/ your friends if they can lend you a few more cards to fill out a deck.\n\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faramir, Prince of Ithilien"}},{"insert":" is also strong on its own, but I think your supporting BR cards are better than your WU cards on the whole.\n\nAlternatively, you could go for UBR with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Edward Kenway"}},{"insert":", which would include most of the same cards as the BR deck, but let you play the other assassins - "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Basim Ibn Ishaq"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Adéwalé, Breaker of Chains"}},{"insert":" - and some blue cards. \n"}]}