July Deckbuilding Contest

mathimus55 avatarmathimus55 20 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hello brewers,"},{"attributes":{"header":2},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nWelcome back! Matt here kicking off the contest for one last month. As a reminder for the new structure of the Archidekt Deckbuilding Contest that started last month:\nContest participation is no longer limited by region. We’re so glad to finally have our friends outside of the US and Canada involved as well!"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Finalists are now awarded credit to "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.cardsphere.com/"},"insert":"Cardsphere.com"},{"insert":", a sister site to Archidekt. Cardsphere is a peer-to-peer marketplace for buying and selling Magic cards. If you’ve never used it before, Joey from the EDHRECast recently made a great "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc4-FnefrU&t=1s&pp=ygUKY2FyZHNwaGVyZQ%3D%3D"},"insert":"video covering the basics"},{"insert":"! Depending on their placement, finalists will receive either $250, $150 or $100 in credit."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"The "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.youtube.com/@EDHRECast"},"insert":"EDHRECast YouTube channel"},{"insert":" will now feature a video highlighting the finalist decks from each contest! Olivia Gobert-Hicks and myself will host."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"After the three finalists are announced, their placement is now determined by upvotes on the deck pages themselves. Be sure to vote for your favorite!"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"We'll be following the same cadence as we have the past few months. (Wednesday-Wednesday-Wednesday-Wednesday). Details on that below."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nWith that out of the way, let's talk about the contest!\n\nWhat’s the contest all about?"},{"attributes":{"header":2},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Working within the parameters of the prompt provided below, construct a decklist with your own creative spin. Three chosen finalists will be awarded store credit to cardsphere.com. \n\n"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"For July’s deckbuilding contest, brew a Commander-legal deck that captures the spirit of another deck that was played in 60-card formats. Feel free to check out Matt Morgan’s previous article series "},{"insert":"60 to 100"},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":" or the recent Pro Tour results for ideas and inspiration on your brewing process."},{"attributes":{"header":3},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nLink to Matt's "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://edhrec.com/articles/60-to-100-gruul-invades-the-invitational/"},"insert":"articles here"},{"insert":"\nMTGTop8 "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.mtgtop8.com/index"},"insert":"results here"},{"insert":"\n\nHere’s how to participate:"},{"attributes":{"header":2},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Brew an EDH/Commander legal deck on Archidekt that satisfies the prompt.\nAny unreleased cards spoiled during the contest’s duration "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"are"},{"insert":" allowed."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Silver-bordered and acorn cards, while cool, are "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"not "},{"insert":"allowed. "},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Digital-only cards (such as those designed for the Alchemy format on Arena) are "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"not"},{"insert":" allowed."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Strictly one deck submitted per user."},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nReply to this newspost, the "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://discord.com/channels/494339685452087296/1258155608897749185"},"insert":"Discord submission post"},{"insert":", or the "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://x.com/archidekt/status/1808555834441416931"},"insert":"announcement tweet"},{"insert":" from the "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://twitter.com/archidekt"},"insert":"@archidekt"},{"insert":" account on Twitter with a link to your deck before "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"9:00 pm EST (UTC -5, currently) on Wednesday, July 10th, 2024"},{"insert":". Only one submission per user!\nFrom the eligible submissions, we'll select three finalists with lists that we believe best embody the spirit of the prompt. "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Deck descriptions are not required but certainly may provide valuable context!"},{"insert":"\n\nOn "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Wednesday, July 17th, 2024"},{"insert":", we’ll announce three finalists via Discord and a video on the EDHRECast YouTube channel. Each finalist will be awarded credit on cardsphere.com. The value of the credit is in US dollars and depends on the finalist's placement in deck upvotes at the end of the week-long polling period:\n1st Place Prize - $250"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"2nd Place Prize - $150"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"3rd Place Prize - $100"},{"attributes":{"list":"bullet"},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Finalists will be contacted via email, Discord or Twitter/X (depending on where they submitted) regarding their winnings within roughly 24 hours following the conclusion of voting on Wednesday, July 24th, 2024. Please note, you must have a Cardsphere account in order to receive your winnings. It's quick and free-- "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.cardsphere.com/signup"},"insert":"register here"},{"insert":" if you don't have an account already!\n\nWe also now apply a “Contest Winner” role to all finalists, giving them a little trophy icon next to their username on deck tiles (the links that appear on places like the homepage). Prior contest winners have already had this role applied. \n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/contestRules"},"insert":"Official contest rules"},{"insert":".\n\nThank you!"},{"attributes":{"header":2},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"There are a lot of changes baked into this month’s contest. Please bear with us as we work through any unexpected growing pains!\n\nIf you have any other questions, feel free to ask here, reach out on "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://twitter.com/archidekt"},"insert":"Twitter"},{"insert":", or join "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://discord.gg/sctEc9Ru36"},"insert":"our public Discord server"},{"insert":". We look forward to seeing what you all come up with! \n\nThe Archidekt Team"},{"attributes":{"header":3},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\n"}]}
Edited 7/6/2024, 5:48:21 PM
Tcr671 avatarTcr671 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"First time building a deck in a while, but I just saw this and thought, \"why not, i'll add my deck into the pot.\" It's based around graveyard recursion with a heavy focus on free or cheap casting. While the deck does benefit from other players, the main win-con is going wide and swinging. Or by playing "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Consuming Aberration"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kaya's Ghostform"}},{"insert":" a bunch. The \"free or cheap\" aspect comes from cards like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sage of the Beyond"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Doc Aurlock, Grizzled Genius"}},{"insert":". I think I did well with this deck. Lemme know what you guys think!\nhttps://www.archidekt.com/decks/7718108/muldrotha_the_gravetide \n"}]}
Sengir88 avatarSengir88 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"This retro-themed deck is my entry for July's 2024 deckbuilding contest. The idea is to bring the player back to an era when 60 card decks were the standard. I think of a period before 2000, when creatures like Shivan Dragon, Mahamoti Djinn and Serra Angel were considered powerhouses. And later, when formats like Block Constructed, Type 1 & 2, Highlander and casual multiplayers were played at your LGS.\n\nThis deck is build to honour "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Grizzly Bears"}},{"insert":". A favorable card from the early 90's. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Wilson, Refined Grizzly"}},{"insert":" is his spiritual successor. Still a 2/2 green creature for 2 mana, but with a fine long list of abilities. I choose "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Agent of the Shadow Thieves"}},{"insert":" as background to support him.\n\nTo flavor things up, I have included only whiteboarded cards. This limits the power level of the deck, but it captures the vibe from back in time. I included many removal, ramp and draw to keep the Golgari engine running. This Grizzly Bear intends to stick around!\n\nFull deck discription is included below the deck. Thank you for reading.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/8275535/back_to_the_60_with_wilson"},"insert":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/8275535/back_to_the_60_with_wilson"},{"insert":"\n\n"}]}
Edited 7/6/2024, 3:18:21 PM
dunkleskog avatardunkleskog 17 days
{"ops":[{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/8298752/2014_standard_mono_black_devotion_archidekt_july_deckbuilding_contest"},"insert":"My submission"},{"insert":" is inspired by the Mono Black Devotion build that dominated 2013-2014 Standard. Gray Merchant of Asphodel is my favorite card of all time, so I felt like I owed it to that deck to make it my submission. The format might be widely regarded as awful, but it holds a special place in my heart because I got into Magic around that time. I did my best to focus cards in the deck on ones that were legal in Standard around that time and available in precons, and once I had those I focused on making the deck playable. It has lots of ways to pump up your devotion and ramp into big reanimation spells like Sepulchral Primordial and Rise of the Dark Realms, which are made more functional by removal and mill spells. With Gray Merchant of Asphodel being the most important creature, I decided to include several recursion pieces that allow you to bring it back over and over again, eventually draining your opponents life total completely. If you don't find Gary, that's okay too! There's plenty of other creatures in the deck that benefit from being played over and over again, like Kokusho, the Evening Star, and enchantments that drain your opponents for evenmore life.\n"}]}
yroobie avataryroobie 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"In October of 2005, Magic the Gathering saw its 36th expansion release, Ravnica: City of Guilds. In the fictional city of Ravnica, there exists ten city guilds, each in a color identity pair. Within the Ravnica block, the game designers introduced a new card mechanic for each guild, as to give each guild a unique identity. Some were bad. Some were okay. And one was Dredge. \n\nDredge, the mechanic for the Golgari Swarm, is a mechanic that allows a card to be returned from the graveyard by milling an amount of cards as a replacement effect to drawing a card. Volumes can be written about Dredge as a mechanic and about the cards printed with Dredge in City of Guilds. One of these cards was "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Life from the Loam"}},{"insert":" . The sorcery reads: "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"\"Return up to three target land cards from your graveyard to your hand. Dredge 3\". "},{"insert":"\n\nLife from the Loam having Dredge to fill the graveyard with potentially more land cards and to be returned from the graveyard to be reused made for a tight, self-contained magic card. Although a slick design, how can a one card, land recursion engine be used in a competitive setting such as the time's Extended (later Modern) and Legacy formats? \n\nThe answer was found in a rare released seven years prior in the set Onslaught. That card was "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Seismic Assault"}},{"insert":" . The enchantment reads "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"\"Discard a land card: Seismic Assault deals 2 damage to any target.\""},{"insert":" This gave a "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"shock"},{"insert":"ing effect to discarding a land card. This engine allowed for controlling the board and the opponent's life total. These two cards would continue to find themselves together in decklists until the present. Their combination is often referred to as:\n\n"},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"Assault Loam"},{"attributes":{"header":3},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"\nSince their first appearance together in 2005, the archetype has seen a few synergistic, powerhouse cards. In 2007, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tarmogoyf"}},{"insert":" from Future Sight added an aggressive threat that would grow from Life's dredging. In 2012, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faithless Looting"}},{"insert":" from Dark Ascension allowed for a turn one spell to see two cards and set-up up the graveyard, while allowing itself to be cast later for its flashback cost. The other Dredge cards, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Narcomoeba"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Prized Amalgam"}},{"insert":" helped formed the \"Dredge\" deck with Assault Loam as a secondary strategy. In Legacy, the interaction between "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Punishing Fire"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Grove of the Burnwillows"}},{"insert":" formed the \"Eternal Gardens\" deck with Life from the Loam main deck and Seismic Assault side deck.\n\nVery recently in 2023, the Magic the Gathering Lord of the Rings Universes Beyond set introduced a powerful, repeatable card draw option in "},{"insert":{"card-link":"The One Ring"}},{"insert":". Its synergy being that it draws a lot of cards, some of which will most likely be lands. In 2024, the Outlaws of Thunder Junction Commander set released the most Assault Loam compatible commander since "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Borborygmos Enraged"}},{"insert":". But a bit more about Outlaws of Thunder Junction first.\n\nOutlaws of Thunder Junction (OTJ) takes place on the plane ... Thunder Junction. A plane which is mostly a desert, so it features a resurgence of land cards that are ... deserts. OTJ also features cards that mechanically care about deserts. To contain the "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"spree"},{"insert":" of desert cards and desert-caring cards, one of the commander preconstructed decks is desert themed. It is helmed by the aforementioned compatible commander is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Yuma, Proud Protector"}},{"insert":". \n\nThe Legendary Creature reads "},{"attributes":{"bold":true},"insert":"\"This spell costs (1) less to cast for each land card in your graveyard. Whenever Yuma, Proud Protector enters the battlefield or attacks, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, draw a card. Whenever a Desert card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, create a 4/2 green Plant Warrior creature token with reach.\""},{"insert":" If a desert card is discarded, Yuma creates a plant token. Seismic Assault discards lands, which could be desert cards. The goal of the deck is to discard desert cards while Yuma is out, ideally discarding them with Seismic Assault. Additionally, Seismic Assault and Life from the Loam fills the graveyard with land cards, reducing the casing cost of Yuma.\n\nThe decklist I'm presenting for this contest is one built around the interaction described above. The rest of the deck is full of dry, arid interactions. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tectonic Reformation"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Molten Vortex"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Living Twister"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Invasion of Kaldheim // Pyre of the World Tree"}},{"insert":" are all alternatives to Seismic Assault allowing the discard of land cards to deal damage. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dune Chanter"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Desert Warfare"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sand Scout"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hazezon, Shaper of Sand"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Rumbleweed"}},{"insert":" are all general purpose Desert support. Dunechanter being especially notable because it enables triggering Yuma with any land being discarded. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Bitter Reunion"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Brass's Tunnel-Grinder // Tecutlan, the Searing Rift"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Electric Revelation"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faithless Looting"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Magmatic Insight"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thrill of Possibility"}},{"insert":" loot away lands. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Avenger of Zendikar"}},{"insert":" pumps all tokens made by Yuma and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aftermath Analyst"}},{"insert":" since both produced plant tokens. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Annie Joins Up"}},{"insert":" is a Legend-harmonicon which works with both Yuma and Hazezon's triggered abilities. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Blossoming Tortoise"}},{"insert":" reduces the cost of your cycling and channel lands.\n\nHere is the complete "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/8295946/july_deckbuilding_competition_seismic_assault"},"insert":"decklist"},{"insert":". Let me know what y'all think!\n"}]}
bb3243 avatarbb3243 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/8297934/contest_july2024\n\nFor my submission, I went for the living end deck. Basically playing the best cycling card, some free spell to protect the living end/living death effect, and some card draw. There are 3 living end effect with living end, living death, and bring of the last gift. For resilience, the deck has mysthic sanctuary to get back the living end/death and skyturtle can brind anything you want.The deck has so many land cycler it is very easy to hit the land drop. Later in the game if the commander hit and opponent (there is cavern of souls and haste enabler to make sure it gets there) any spell with 3ccm will find the living end . To control a bit the board, the deck includes some powerful counterspell, and mdfc cards/cyclers than deal with pw, creature, lands, artifact, enchantment... so you are basically covered\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/8297934/contest_july2024\n\nFor my submission, I went for the living end deck. Basically playing the best cycling card, some free spell to protect the living end/living death effect, and some card draw. There are 3 living end effect with living end, living death, and bring of the last gift. For resilience, the deck has mysthic sanctuary to get back the living end/death and skyturtle can brind anything you want.The deck has so many land cycler it is very easy to hit the land drop. Later in the game if the commander hit and opponent (there is cavern of souls and haste enabler to make sure it gets there) any spell with 3ccm will find the living end . To control a bit the board, the deck includes some powerful counterspell, and mdfc cards/cyclers than deal with pw, creature, lands, artifact, enchantment... so you are basically covered\n"}]}
Parafarmacia avatarParafarmacia 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"https://www.archidekt.com/decks/7702467/belakor I want to share my first deck, I'm a new magic player and I would like to see what people think about it, it's a demon burn deck (be'lakor as the commander) the idea of the deck is activating be'lakor effect as much as possible by creating a lot of copies of creature that are entering the battlefield, i wanted to create a fun unique deck, fell free to judge it and reply to this comment\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/7886247/disa_dredge"},"insert":"Disa Dredge"},{"insert":"\n\nAn attempt to capture the feel of Modern Dredge before Hogaak. With all of the good dredge cards and lots of efficient self-mill/rummage/looting. The changes come in turning the big graveyard into threats that can win a pod. The deck borrows Disa and many of the goyfs from her precon along with creatures that get huge (or make lots of tokens) when the grave gets big. A diversity of card types and a fair number of low cost creatures help get good-size Tarmogoyf tokens reliably. Big and sometimes flying, haste or trample creatures like Apocalypse Demon enables punching through blockers and satisfying everyone's inner Timmy with gigantic creatures one-shotting opponents.. There's also flashback, aftermath, and graveyard-card copying value to take advantage of once the grave gets going. Misc and Boo, Timeless Heroes fling, Pyrogoyf's etb triggers (especially off Living Death when it arrives with other goyfs), and Jarad's sac- to-drain ability all give ways to win if attacking is no longer an option.\n"}]}
Edited 7/6/2024, 8:11:02 AM
Darksign avatarDarksign 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/8146902/giada_cartas_compradas_e_pagas\nThis is my first commander deck, have a very agressive pace, for a mono-white fun deck! It ramps as it's a green deck, draws as if it's blue deck, and its pretty terrifying to enemies as turn 4+ the board have some juiced angels ready to bonk the enemy! It reminds me of my Angel deck in standard a few months back, gain some life, clerics and angels building sinergy, and when you realize you have an army that flies!\n"}]}
Edited 7/6/2024, 7:49:13 AM
Tahu2247 avatarTahu2247 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"I had always thought watching manaless dredge was so cool. It was a unique deck that had thrown the normal idea of running lands right out. In wanting to play manaless dredge in commander, I brewed up this decklist. Five-color \"landless\" dredge. \nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/4684138/manaless_dredge\n"}]}
Eztly avatarEztly 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"What better way to capture the spirit of a 60 card deck than to actually try to play a 60 card deck.\nBy using Satoru, the Infiltrator's ability to draw a card if a creature entered the battlefield without paying mana, we can cycle all 0 cost creatures, effectively reducing the size of our deck. By playing a ton of fetchlands, we can also technically reduce the size even more.\nThe actual deck functions similarly to the modern living death, by cycling and reanimating creatures, we also trigger Satoru, drawing us more cards. We even take a note out of Rakdos Scam by evoking and scamming out creatures, triggering Satoru even more.\nCards in the sideboard are the ones that cycle themselves. \n\nhttps://www.archidekt.com/decks/8295891/satoru_60_card_deckbuilding\n"}]}
Lima_Bravo avatarLima_Bravo 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi everyone! This is my first time participating, and I'm excited to share my submission. I've created a Commander deck inspired by one of my favorite \"bad\" Modern decks: Skred Red. Before Modern Horizons was released, I enjoyed playing a mono-red midrange/control deck that featured Skred as an efficient, low-cost removal option. The deck's strategy focused on using removal, prison effects, and mana denial, such as Blood Moon, to control the game until the mid-game. Once stabilized, it would deploy powerful threats like Stormbreath Dragon, Glorybringer, Koth of the Hammer, and Chandra, Torch of Defiance to secure victory. In this Commander deck, I wanted to stay true to the heavy removal theme of the original Skred Red while incorporating more cards that benefit from having snow lands that didn't typically see play in the original Skred, like Rimescale Dragon. I chose Jaya Ballard, Task Mage as the commander. Although the deck can win without her, Jaya provides a repeatable way to deal damage across the table, adding significant value. The primary win conditions are Koth and Chandra planeswalkers, but I’ve also included other potential game-winners like Hazoret the Fervent and Emrakul, the Promised End, ensuring the deck has multiple ways to close out the game. To enhance the deck's ability to win, I added cards like Nalfeshnee, which synergizes well with the deck's play-from-exile effects, and Solphim and City on Fire for faster wins. I decided to exclude some of my favorite cards, like Detritivore, as I felt the Blood Moon effects already provided sufficient disruption without adding more land destruction.\n\nI hope you enjoy my take on Commander Skred Red!\nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/8295820/july_deckbuilding_contest_submission\n"}]}
Thebigt21 avatarThebigt21 17 days
{"ops":[{"insert":"I have submitted a pauper artifact affinity deck. I used to play pauper before getting into commander and always loved the idea of trying to get pauper affinity into commander. Every card in this deck other than the commander is legal within the pauper format. I decided to choose Mishra, Eminent One as the commander beause, in my opinion, he embodies the way pauper affinity works with how he cheats out artifacts and then sacrifices them for value later on. Thank you for checking it out. \n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/8294108/pauper_affinity_july_2024_deck_building_submission"},"insert":"Pauper Affinity July 2024 Deck Building Submission • (Commander / EDH deck) • Archidekt"},{"insert":"\n\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Not sure if it fully captures the deck, but I recently got into pre-modern, and I like The Rock, so I thought I'd try my hand at taking it to Commander as an attrition-based midrange deck. Here's hoping people like it.\n\n"},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/7365934/whatre_ya_buyin"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/7365934/whatre_ya_buyin"},{"insert":"\n"}]}