Rainbow Dash Commander Deck Help

Sparrowszevra avatarSparrowszevra 3 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi All,\n\nI'm in the process of creating a "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/7704808/rainbow_dash_ver_1"},"insert":"Rainbow Dash Commander Deck"},{"insert":" and wanted to ask for some insight on cards to add and/or get rid of. I'm fairly new to MTG overall, and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.\n\nFor some info, I'm going Boros with this deck since I'm still pretty new to MTG and want to get a feel for things first. I'm also aiming to make this deck fast/aggro as someone suggested to me. Also, I want to capitalize on flying and haste.\n\nThanks!\n"}]}
darkconfidnt avatardarkconfidnt 3 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Another approach would be a go-wide token army of fliers, which would quickly turbo-charge your 'coolness' and let you activate Rainbow Dash more quickly. Examples: "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Andúril, Flame of the West"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Court of Grace"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Haunted Library"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Loyal Apprentice"}},{"insert":" \nI'll echo DynamoDan's suggestion of more card advantage. Since you want to be attacking, cards like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Neyali, Suns' Vanguard"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Brazen Cannonade"}},{"insert":" feel appropriate (in addition to "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Laelia, the Blade Reforged"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Firemane Commando"}},{"insert":"). I also like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Staff of the Storyteller"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Showdown of the Skalds"}},{"insert":".\nIf you take this route, anthems could serve you well, permanent (i.e. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Intangible Virtue"}},{"insert":") and/or instant speed (i.e. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Rally of Wings"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Pride of Conquerors"}},{"insert":")\n"}]}
DynamoDan avatarDynamoDan 3 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Sparrows!\n\nI had this super long elaborate reply cooked up, and then accidentally refreshed the page; as such, I hope you'll forgive that this will be relatively brief.\n\nThe deck has the beginning of all the right components: Protection for your creatures, board wipes, hasty and flying creatures, and a bit of ramp. If you're lacking anything, it's most likely a bit of card advantage; card draw and ways to access things in your library.\n\nGeneral thoughts!\nI personally think that Angels and Dragons would be a great theme, as many of them have flying at minimum, and haste isn't uncommon too. Additionally, they both have good support for their creature types, and are often pretty strong. They also fit pretty well into Boros, but most of your best dragons will be in Red + another colour, or just plain red. \nSome good angels are \nSephara, Sky's Blade,\nGiada, Font of Hope,\nAurelia, The Law Above,\nAurelia, the Warleader.\nSome good dragons are\nInferno of the Star Mounts,\nVelomachus Lorehold.\nBalancing your number of creatures, their mana values, and your types will potentially be a little tough, but instead just focusing on the keywords they have can help fix this problem. Odric, Lunarch Marshall is a great way to do this, as then everything shares their keywords. This is only particularly relevant if everything you cast doesn't already have haste and/or flying, but it's an example of something that buffs your creatures that have keywords.\nI also like that you have a Phoenix in there. They aren't all super good for the deck, but a couple like Flamewake Phoenix, Skyfire Phoenix, Lightning Phoenix, and Rekindling Phoenix could all be relatively strong in the deck. If you do decide to include them, then Syrix, Carrier of the Flame would also be a good addition.\n\nI'd also highly recommend Laelia, the Blade Reforged, and Firemane Commando, as they provide card access to your library, have the keywords you want, and are in general quite good for their cost.\nInvasion of Alara is also good, as it's something you can cast with Rainbow Dash, and something you can attack other than a player so you don't draw any aggro from your opponents.\n\nYou probably want a little more ramp, card draw, equipment, protection, and removal. Some really good protection options are Blacksmith's Skill, Take up the Shield, Loran's Escape, Boros Charm and Surge of Salvation. Some reanimation spells could also go well, such as Sevinne's Reclamation, Brought Back, and Invoke Justice. Sun Titan is a classic when it comes to aggro decks, as a way of keeping up the pressure with your little attackers. Ascend From Avernus is great if the board has just freshly been wiped, to get everything back.\nFor card draw, red has some good options, with things like Thrill of Possibility, Seize the Spoils, Big Score, Unexpected Windfall, and Demand Answers. White tends to have \"Catch up\" based car draw, where it requires an opponent to have more cards in hand. However, there are other options, such as Your Temple is Under Attack which I would recommend, which also doubles as protection. \nFor ramp, artifacts are really your best bet. Mind Stone, Thought Vessel, Sol Ring, Chromatic Lantern, and Decanter of Endless are all classics. \nEquipment will give keywords, and can have some good combat tricks too. Things like Haunted Cloak give lots of keywords, one of them importantly being vigilance, which is great for Rainbow Dash. Additionally, there's things like Swiftfoot Boots, Lavaspur Boots, and Lightning Greaves, which double not only as haste, but as protection. Sting, the Glinting Dagger is also incredibly strong in any deck that has a commander with a tap ability, as it lets you use it in multiple turns. I.e, use the ability in main phase 1, untap and attack, and then in your opponents turn, untap Rainbow Dash so you can use the mana to protect Rainbow Dash or interact in general. Sting's ability is at the beginning of "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"each"},{"insert":" combat after all, not just "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"your "},{"insert":"combat.\nTo buff your artifacts/equipment, tutors (cards that allow you to find things) are good. They will typically take you out of just Boros, but there are some strictly Boros options, with Relic Seeker, Axgard Armory, and Steelshapers Gift. Gamble, and Reckless Handling are also decent tutors, but come with the downside of discarding a card.\nFinally, removal (besides just board wipes) is very important, but fortunately Boros is quite good at this. Things like Lightning Helix, Lightning Bolt, Generous Gift, Stroke of Midnight, Chaos Warp, Swords to Plowshares, Path To Exile, and Get Lost. \n\nIf you don't want to have to stay just in Boros, the deck suddenly becomes a lot stronger: You gain access to more, better dragons, more card draw spells (Tamiyo's Epiphany, Blue Sun's Zenith, Pull From Tomorrow, etc), more tutors (particularly in black with things like Profane/Diabolic Tutor, Diabolic Intent), more ramp (in green, with things like Rampant Growth, Cultivate, Three Visits, Farseek, Tempt with Discovery, etc), and more some cool stuff to use your 5 colours on, like Bring To Light. \nThe downside of this, however, is the deck gets much more complex, as balancing your colours, card advantage and ramp, gets more complex, and your land base will typically get more expensive. To help prevent this, you can run lots of lands like Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds, Bant Panaroma, Naya Panorama, Krosan Verge, Myriad Landscape and etc, which search for other lands; not only making you more likely to draw what cards you want and need, but also helping fix whatever colours of lands you do have. Other options for this are Command Tower, Cascading Cataracts, and Exotic Orchard.\n\nIn summary, there's lots you can do with the deck, and I like what you've got so far! You have options about whether you stick to just Boros, change into proper 5 colours, or Boros with the other 3 colours as one offs, and only a couple lands of those colours to keep the aggro up, with some interesting bonus cards from the other colours.\nFinding the balance between creatures with haste and flying and support creatures may take a little work, but that's the case with all decks. \n\nI highly recommend using Scryfall, or Archidekt's Syntax Search when trying to find particular cards to fit certain roles (they use the same database and syntax); you can use o: before a term to find things that are in its text box, such as o:haste to find a card with haste anywhere in its text, or o:\"enters the battlefield\" to find things that care about entering the battlefield. t: can be used to find types. So t:creature is a creature, or t:angel is an angel creature. id= finds things of a particular colour identity, i.e id=wr is a boros card. id=</id=> lets you lookup cards that are an identity + or - some colours. i.e, id=<wr would be everything boros or less. mv= is mana value. So mv=3 is a 3 cost card, mv=<3 is a 3 or less cost card, etc. legal:commander can also help remove un-cards from the search, and make the results slightly narrower.\nWhen you combine these all together, you can look for things such as \"I want a creature in boros with haste that is 3 mana or less, and draws cards,\" which would look something like this\nt:creature mv=<3 id=<wr o:haste o:draw legal:commander \nIt's a very good resource for when you think there may be a card, but aren't sure. If you're having trouble finding an effect, just using singular words as I have above can help broaden the search to something close, or the exact effect you're looking for. \n\nI hope that all of that helps. Sorry it's so long; to think this is the \"Shortened\" version.\nHappy brewing!\n"}]}
Sparrowszevra avatarSparrowszevra 3 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Hi Dynamo!\n\nThank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it! Balancing the deck has definitely been one of my main concerns, and I appreciate the advice regarding ramp and card draw, as these were some parts I've been struggling with. I've made a few new additions to the deck and have added several of the suggested cards!\n"}]}