Recommended cards for beginners (such as myself)

Xpansion avatarXpansion 13 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Curiosity got the best of me as I regularly venture into my local comics n cards shop and was utterly overwhelmed by the prices of 40k starter packs. Another game the shop also hosts are MTG Saturdays (or Sundays I can't remember). Either way I found the cards to be cheaper than the 40k packs and now I just need suggestions for what cards/packs I should pick up.\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"P.S. - As of the moment I've been playing more pauper and modern compared to legacy or similar types due to my low budget.\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 13 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"If you sre playing constructed formats on a budget, do not buy boosters. Singles save you money and your LGS nets more per card. Little guys win.\n\nI can't speak for Modern. I haven't played Modern in over 3 years. Pauper has lot of great decks for cheap. Burn is really cheap to get into, especially with recent reprints of burn staples "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Lightning Bolt"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Chain Lightning"}},{"insert":" .\n\nHave you tried Commander?\n"}]}
{"ops":[{"insert":"Unfortunately, I don't have any commander cards. However, I had just recently watched a game go down where a player had managed to use plenty of old cards they had bought from a bulk sale by having Garth One-Eye as their commander. And if I were to get a commander what commander deck would you recommend?\n"}]}