Group Hug (EDH Format)

GlitchHunter avatarGlitchHunter 13 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"So, this is my first time building anything remotely in the realm of Group Hug, and I wanted some feedback on the deck's build, and ways to improve it without using costly (money-wise) cards. (https://archidekt.com/decks/3980250)\nAm I right in assuming that Abyssal Persecutor + Platinum Angel (or in this deck's case, Gideon of the Trials Emblem) would create a completely unwinnable game-state?\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 13 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Not going to comment on the deck specifically. I do have an answer to your rules question, and a couple follow-up questions.\n\nYou are correct; "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Abyssal Persecutor"}},{"insert":" + "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Platinum Angel"}},{"insert":" locks everyone out of winning. \n\nWhy would you want to do that?\n\nHow does stopping everyone from winning qualify as group hug?\n"}]}
Edited 2/27/2023, 12:16:39 PM
GlitchHunter avatarGlitchHunter 13 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I didn't, I was wanting to play around with game-state using those effects, but now that I know that the combo (Which I didn't really want to have both out at the same time) works in the way I thought, I'll work on the strategy of the deck.\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gideon of the Trials"}},{"insert":" is in the deck for his +1 ability (questionable if that qualifies as group hug) >Removed\n"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Abyssal Persecutor"}},{"insert":" is in the deck as it could be argued (esp. in 3+ player games) that its ability could qualify as group hug.\n"}]}
Edited 2/27/2023, 2:39:31 PM
CABLES avatarCABLES 13 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"the deck seems very light on both lands and ramp — BW isn't a color pair that is traditionally good at ramping, and you have a relatively high mana curve with how low to the ground your manabase is. before you add anything else, you should probably aim for 7-8 mana rocks/other ramp sources (i.e. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Knight of the White Orchid"}},{"insert":") and somewhere between 36 and 34 lands, though that isn't a hard and fast rule by any stretch. \n\nas far as card-specific advice, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Acid-Spewer Dragon"}},{"insert":" seems like a dead draw as you only have one other dragon in the deck. casting "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Price of Knowledge"}},{"insert":" at any point in the game is going to be extremely difficult and will either do nothing (as the rest of the table might be out of gas by turn 7+) or draw undue attention from decks that want to keep a full hand. your removal suite, too, seems lacking — the 1-mana -1/-1 spells scale very poorly in an environment where x/1 creatures don't really do much outside of dedicated token decks (where killing one of their tokens doesn't do anything) or mana dorks. the proliferate theme is interesting, but i don't see very many situations where it would be all that useful. i'd spec into hard kill spells instead — "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Swords to Plowshares"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Anguished Unmaking"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Vindicate"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Unmake"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Infernal Grasp"}},{"insert":", etc. furthermore, you're short on card draw. luckily, dedicated hug strategies can make use of stuff like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Howling Mine"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Loran of the Third Path"}},{"insert":", and other symmetrical draw effects. \n\nalso, don't be afraid of board wipes!! soft sweepers like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tragic Arrogance"}},{"insert":" are perfect for hug decks, as they let you play politics and take down the player with the biggest, most threatening board while also avoiding bad feelings by letting everyone keep their best permanents. politicking is SUPER important for hug decks. you can pilot the deck like a control deck, ensuring the board is balanced and no one player ever gains a commanding lead while appearing to lag behind the rest of the table and playing effects that benefit other players enough that nobody will be willing to target you. then, once you and one other player are the only ones left, start playing hard control and try to lock them out of the game to secure a win, likely with alternate wincon cards like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Triskaidekaphobia"}},{"insert":" and/or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Approach of the Second Sun"}},{"insert":". a good hug deck is out to secure a win, after all — just accelerating the rest of the table without any other game plan or goal in mind will make you come in second place and never, ever actually win.\n"}]}