New deck

Wesmonster avatarWesmonster 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I am pretty new to commander and am making a Yuriko deck. I was wondering if anybody more experienced in deckbuilding could help me.\nHere is the deck: \nhttps://archidekt.com/decks/3712229#Yuriko_Deck\n"}]}
Endlessor avatarEndlessor 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I don't know too much about Yuriko decks. I have a friend that has one that I saw in action couple games. Would point that your color production could be more balanced. Like if you go in Stats you see that you have 42 U in cost of cards and 29 B. While the mana you have from lands and artifacts is producing 28 U and 37 B. I would suggest you make changes so your mana production looks more like something 37 U and 28 B. Since you are new, just in case, by U i mean Blue and B i mean Black. I just noticed that you have lot of basic lands too. I would consider adding more lands that can give either U or B mana. Or running lands like Warped Lanscape that give you the option to fetch for the basic land you need. Otherwise you rely to much on chance. Like you draw bunch of swamps but you have a hand full of cards with U in their costs.\n\nYour curve is very low. I'm used with new players to see high average Mana Value. The deck my friend played managed to cast higher Mana Value cards so he had higher chance to drain us for more. You deck currently your chances are higher that you drain only for 1 or 2 life. Maybe something to consider? I would say that it is the 1st time I see that many 1 Mana Value spells for a deck. I don't build cEDH decks. I think your curve looks like those competitive EDH decks. Or it may be that you are just used to 60 cards format curves. Just saying that if you are heading for casual Commander games you can go with a higher curve. Commander format is slower (when playing casual). My decks in general I head for a curve that looks like this: about 8 cards at 1 MV, 12 Cards at 2 MV, 18 cards at 3 MV, 10 Cards at 4 MV, 8 Cards at 5 MV and so on decreasing a bit each time. But, this is just a template. Curves can vary depending on deck strategies.\n\nI see you run Draco for its Mana Value. But since you have only 2 basic land types,it is probably not the kind of cards you will be able to cast. If I was you, I would seek for a replacement that has still an high MV but that is also playable. What do you think of \"The Magic Mirror\" card. You run 25 Instant/Sorceries so this is a 9 MV card that you can potentially only cost you UUU and draw you cards.\n\nI have a Vial Smasher/Krark the Thumbless deck that takes advantage of casting high MV spells for lower than their actual cost. It may be something you consider for you deck. An example is \"Beseech the Queen\". It has a special hybrid cost. Because of that its MV is 6, but generally you would cast it for BBB. Split cards like Discovery//Dispersal are cards where both halves count in the total mana value. So Yuriko would see Discovery//Dispersal has a 7 MV card where you could just pay 1U/B to cast the Discovery part.\n\nLike I said, I'm not familliar that much with Yuriko builds. Has a new player you can look at EDHrec or at others people build on Archidect for inspiration.\n\nI also always suggest to evaluate each card in your deck against the big picture. To avoid let say for example to have a card that cares about +1/+1 counters but you have only 9 cards in your deck that makes +1/+1 counters, then chance are said card that cares about +1/+1 counters won't do much in games.\n\nHope this helps a bit!\n"}]}
John_Sherwood avatarJohn_Sherwood 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I'm going to echo a few things mentioned by @Endlessor, and offer an alternative viewpoint on a couple points.\n\nYour colors are not balanced. Your deck will function better if your colored mana production is proportional to the color pips in your mana costs. In a two color deck, basic lands are almost always better than lands that enter tapped. I only run lands that enter tapped if they have a condition that can allow them to enter untapped, or they have a utility my deck can use. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Creeping Tar Pit"}},{"insert":" is a perfect example of a tap land I would run. I don't run gain lands (like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Jwar Isle Refuge"}},{"insert":" ) unless my deck cares about life gain. Something like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Warped Landscape"}},{"insert":" does fix your colors, but it comes at a cost. I also think your land count is low. 34 might be ok with a low mana curve and fast ramp, but you will mulligan a lot.\n\nI totally agree with @Endlessor you should run more high mana value cards to maximize the life loss to your opponents. There's a balance to find between keep your curve low enough to play, and high enough to make Yuriko a real threat. I think you're on the low side right now. I'm used to seeing Yuriko decks with more Ninjas and more unblockable effects. Yuriko's ability rewards you for playing the tribe. A lot of the other ninjas you could run have mana value 3 or more, so incressing your ninjas will naturally increase the life loss you can cause with Yuriko. More Ninjas will in turn give you more Yuriko triggers. Playing into Ninja tribal with Yuriko is a win con.\n\n\n\n"}]}