making my first commander deck and i need some advice on what to add and remove

matt15 avatarmatt15 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I have played commander before but this is my first time making a deck. the decks wincon is creating tokens and aurelia inf combat. I need to remove 5 cards and the mana base is kinda small but I have a lot of ramp so I don't know what to do there any help would be great. \n\nhttps://manastack.com/deck/isshin-two-heavens-as-one-29 \n"}]}
Edited 12/5/2022, 2:18:26 AM
Endlessor avatarEndlessor 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"I wanted to look at it but the link is not working.\n"}]}
matt15 avatarmatt15 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"there i updated it \n"}]}
jobroskie avatarjobroskie 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"So since no one has responded yet I'll give my 2 cents. A good rule to think about is that if something is off theme then it makes your deck worst. The more you water down what your deck wants to do, then the less strong that theme will be. You will draw less of the cards you need to get your engine running. Even if those cards are seen as really good, they will make your deck worst by not being on theme. that being said you still need to ramp, have removal, and draw cards, so some things won't be perfectly on theme, but still, its better to have something that fits than something that doesn't if you can.\n\nIsshin is a creature based attack trigger deck. You have almost as many instants and sorceries as you do creatures total, which seems off. Take a card like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sign in Blood"}},{"insert":" . "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Audacious Thief"}},{"insert":" is basically the same thing in this deck, but it also procs all of your other attack triggers as well. I also question cards like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Helm of the Host"}},{"insert":" . I see that as a 9 mana card, and 9 mana cards had better straight up win me the game that turn. For 5 mana and less than 5$ you can get "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Karlach, Fury of Avernus"}},{"insert":" who gives you 2 extra combats while Isshin is out. I would also consider cards that are creatures that ETB instead of instant and sorcery removal. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Loran of the Third Path"}},{"insert":" , while it may cost more than "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fracture"}},{"insert":" , can proc all your attack triggers and fracture cant. Finally you have cards that don't do anything besides give your creatures keywords like first strike and vigilance. Honestly I think the only one that matters in this deck is haste. Take "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Brave the Sands"}},{"insert":" . All this does is give vigilance so that you can block with your creatures. I think that it would just be better to have creatures with attack triggers that don't need to attack to proc them or something that creates hasted tokens so you can attack with the token instead of the card. For the first you already have things like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Adeline, Resplendent Cathar"}},{"insert":" but you could also include "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Breena, the Demagogue"}},{"insert":" among others. For the second group you could have "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Mirage Phalanx"}},{"insert":" if you're on a budget, or something like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fable of the Mirror-Breaker // Reflection of Kiki-Jiki"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker"}},{"insert":" if you aren't.\n\nWhat I would do, and I don't know if you can do this on the website you're using, is create custom groups so you can organize cards by what they accomplish in your deck. You basically should have 5 groups in my opinion: ramp, card draw, removal, attack triggers, and haste enablers. The most creature based you can be the better. You should have about 10 cards in every group and I would increase your land count to about 35, leaving you with 15 cards leftover. With these leftovers I would probably add mainly cards to your attack triggers group, but I might reserve a couple for general utility that stays on theme, like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Dolmen Gate"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Lightning Greaves"}},{"insert":" and I would probably have a solid board wipe or 2. If your cards cant fit into one of those 5 groups then I would remove them. This is a strategy you can use for almost any deck you're making. Have the 3 basics with ramp, card draw, and removal, and then decide on 2 main themes that work together, then start with 10 cards in each and fill out the remaining by adding to those groups. Here is an example of one of my more recent decks: "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/3639222#Boros_ETB"},"insert":"https://archidekt.com/decks/3639222#Boros_ETB"},{"insert":" . Eventually you will develop your own style and be able to make changes. For instance I often play less ramp and removal, favoring card draw. Its not uncommon for my decks to be really low to the ground so I don't need the ramp and I hate getting stuck with nothing in hand. I will often run closer to 15 pieces of card draw and maybe only 8 or 9 ramp and removal spells.\n"}]}
Endlessor avatarEndlessor 16 months
{"ops":[{"insert":"Great advices!\n"}]}