[EDH] Archangel Avacyn, Boros Control Deck Tech

bugz_the_cat avatarbugz_the_cat 4 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"On the plane of Innistrad, the savior, Avacyn the Archangel, protected the inhabitants of Innistrad with all of her heart. Her angels were at her command. Her sisters, Bruna, Gisela and Sigarda were at her right hand. The church, their priests and their cathars put faith into Avacyn. All was well while she was back, ridding the land of demons and the evils that lurked at night. Innistrad was not safe without her. Little did they know, that underneath the seemingly peaceful angel was a madness that was brewing. A madness that would soon infest not just her, but the core of the plane. Once a protector of the land became the zealot ridding Innistrad of all that was impure. No one's hands were clean, not even her own angels or her own church. Avacyn would not rest until all of the impure were gone, all of them were dead.\n\n---\n\nThe initial inspiration for an "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":" deck came from how she synergized with board wipes. So, the original concept was to have humans and angels, board wipe and flash in "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":". This proved to be a very one-trick and not very effective at winning the game. What has evolved since then is what I have named "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"All My Friends are Dead"},{"insert":", or, in simpler terms, "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Board Wipe Tribal"},{"insert":". Through playing this deck, I have seen the shortcomings of Boros in Commander, and how it truly struggles in certain aspects of the game. But, with playing this deck, I believe I have found some solutions to the problem. While I cutely call it "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Board Wipe Tribal"},{"insert":", it is much more akin to a control deck. Most turns favor the "},{"attributes":{"italic":true},"insert":"Draw Go"},{"insert":" mentality of a blue deck. While many of you are rightfully skeptical that Boros can achieve this kind of a deck strategy, I can assure you it is effective and impactful throughout all stages of the game.\n\nThe two major issues that Boros has in Commander is the lack of ramp and card draw. My solution to this was to have a Venn Diagram of sorts for my ramp and draw packages, respectively, with cards that can be seen as both ramp and card draw intersecting. I'll first start off with showing the ramp and card draw packages.\n\nThis obviously includes "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sol Ring"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Boros Signet"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Smothering Tithe"}},{"insert":" as they should be auto-includes in most, if not all, Boros decks. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fire Diamond"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Marble Diamond"}},{"insert":" are automatic includes as well in their respective colors, as well as Boros. Due to this being a control deck, I favored some of the more high-end ramp spells that produce three mana, as it will help cast some of the more expensive removal spells and finishers. These are "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gilded Lotus"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thran Dynamo"}},{"insert":".\n\nThe card draw package might have some interesting inclusions. Many would consider these card selection, but I feel that is just as good. You can pitch cards you do not need, and there is nothing wrong with pitching these dead cards to find what you are looking for. The point is to dig to find your answers, not horde a bunch of cards in hand. The obvious inclusions as this is a red deck are "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faithless Looting"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Reforge the Soul"}},{"insert":". The next to are functionally the same card, with one being slightly worse than the other. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Outpost Siege"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Vance's Blasting Cannons // Spitfire Bastion"}},{"insert":" both allow you to exile the top of your library in order to cast it that turn. There is a lot of risks to this, and there is not doubt going to be some times where you exile something you wish you could have casted later, but digging to find answers is where this is important. And until better card draw/card selection is found within the Boros color pair, this is good enough for now. A new card that is functionally very similar "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Chandra, Fire Artisan"}},{"insert":". She acts as a similar effect, and allows for you to dig and find answers as well. The next card I am quite sad to see that it isn't seeing as much play as I would hope. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Tectonic Reformation"}},{"insert":" turns each of your dead land draws into card draw and digging. I'm truly shocked to not see it in most red EDH decks. A form of card selection comes in"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Sarkhan, Fireblood"}},{"insert":". While you do not use his second +1 nor really care about his -7, being able to dig to find answers is always the most important. He is obviously not as good as his counterpart, "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Nahiri, the Harbinger"}},{"insert":" since she doubles as a removal spell as well as helps to tutor for a creature to save the game. \n\nAs more lands are played and drawn, mana rocks become less and less valuable as the game goes on. Due to this fact, I present the rocks that double as card draw. There has been times I draw these and play them as a mana rock as intended, and there are times where I draw these are instantly cash them in for card draw. There are times where they are never cashed in, and times where in the late game they are used to dig. Mana rocks that draw are essential to any Boros deck. These rocks are "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Boros Cluestone"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Boros Locket"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hedron Archive"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Mind Stone"}},{"insert":". \n\nI recognize that Boros is extremely weak in these aspect of Magic and it truly visible in the Commander format, but the focus of this "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":" deck is on the strengths of the colors, and this is not aggression. Yes, Boros is typically known for its aggression, but many forget what White shines in: removal. A good chunk of the affective removal spells in Commander are White spells. Nearly every targeted removal spell in this deck is a White spell. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Settle the Wreckage"}},{"insert":" can completely hose decks that have a "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Primal Surge"}},{"insert":" or go wide win condition. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Path to Exile"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Swords to Plowshares"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Reprobation"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Stasis Snare"}},{"insert":" take care of problem creatures with ease. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Return to Dust"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Wear // Tear"}},{"insert":" take care of pesky artifacts and enchantments that are ruining the game. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Oblivion Ring"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Chaos Warp"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Grasp of Fate"}},{"insert":" take care of anything else that might be hurting the game plan. This deck wants to make it to the end game, and it cannot do that without efficient removal.\n\nThe other way of getting into the end game without much of a scratch is slowing down the game, but not too much. Becoming a target is not ideal, but allowing your players to do whatever they like will ensure that you will be taken down easily. Cards that slow down aggressive decks is what you want to look for. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Authority of the Consuls"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thalia, Heretic Cathar"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Ghostly Prison"}},{"insert":" are the perfect options to slow the game down. To protect against other control decks and some combo decks "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Thalia, Guardian of Thraben"}},{"insert":" allows you to slow their game plan down by at least a turn.\n\nNow, for the namesake of the deck. I have this broken down into different kinds of board wipes: Creature Board Wipes, Module Board Wipes and Total Board Wipes. This is the most plentiful category since most Standard Seasons include at least one creature board wipe in either White or Black. The ones include in this deck are "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Blasphemous Act"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Day of Judgment"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"End Hostilities"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fumigate"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Phyrexian Rebirth"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Planar Outburst"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Solar Blast"}},{"insert":", and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Wrath of God"}},{"insert":". An interesting creature board wipe deals with planeswalkers as well. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Fated Retribution"}},{"insert":" is a powerhouse against any playgroup where there are planeswalker decks are rampant. There isn't as many module board wipes, but nonetheless "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Austere Command"}},{"insert":" and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Cleansing Nova"}},{"insert":" are essential for the deck to protect itself against artifact and enchantment decks. I do not include many total board wipes and that is mainly out of greed. I do not want to lose my own stuff, but there are times where a hard reset is needed and these wipes allow for that to happen."},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hour of Revelation"}},{"insert":" is almost always a three mana spell. It is rare where it is not being casted for three mana. Unless this is a major emergency cast, this is an effective three mana total board wipe if need be."},{"insert":{"card-link":"Planar Cleansing"}},{"insert":" allows the total board wipe without the cost reduction of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Hour of Revelation"}},{"insert":". Just as good, if the emergency button needs to be pressed to save the game. The best board wipe in this deck is a total board wipe, but can be used only on the opponents if played correctly. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Magus of the Disk"}},{"insert":" blows up just about everything, but with either a flash of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":" or the presence of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Avacyn, Angel of Hope"}},{"insert":", he turns into a complete lock against opponents (a singular lock if it is an "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":" flash).\n\nThe objective of the deck is clear. Get into the late game by clearing the board of threats and controlling the game. But, how the game ends is rather simple. The first plan is Angel Tribal. Avacyn is bringing in the reckoning and purifying the plane of Innistrad from the corruption she sees in her maddened state. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Lyra Dawnbringer"}},{"insert":" is a major player in this. Giving all angels +1/+1 is nice, but the true gravy of her is the lifelink. This deck takes a lot of beatings throughout the game. The board on its side of the table is often clear. Her granting other angels lifelink can help stabilize in the late game when the angels are ready to take over and rid the table of imperfections and heathens. The little sister of "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Lyra Dawnbringer"}},{"insert":" is also included in this deck with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Baneslayer Angel"}},{"insert":" being included as well. Another set of angels that helps secure even in the mid game from dying is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gisela, Blade of Goldnight"}},{"insert":", who halves the damage dealt to Avacyn's pilot, and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Resolute Archangel"}},{"insert":", who resets the life total. Either of which are fantastic fetches with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Nahiri, the Harbinger"}},{"insert":", "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Bruna, the Fading Light"}},{"insert":" and her sister"},{"insert":{"card-link":"Gisela, the Broken Blade"}},{"insert":" can flip to become "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Brisela, Voice of Nightmares"}},{"insert":" preventing opponents from continuing the game unless they kill her on sight. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Angel of Jubilation"}},{"insert":" makes sure the angels stay on board past any sac engines at the table and further slows down those style of decks. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Aurelia, the Warleader"}},{"insert":" will allow for extra attacks to make sure the deck can take out foes with ease. If a board wipe needs to happen to help the angels get through, best know "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Avacyn, Angel of Hope"}},{"insert":" is there to make sure nothing can be destroyed besides those that are owned by opponents. Best be sure the apocalypse will be met with a multitude of angels and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Entreat the Angels"}},{"insert":" be it for the Miracle cost or not will make sure that there will be blood spilt.\n\nSometimes the primary win condition does not go off and the sweet smell of burning sinners is not how victory is achieved. There are two other options that can be done."},{"insert":{"card-link":"Earthquake"}},{"insert":" can help take down opponents with low life totals, only got to be careful of taking yourself out as well and "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Jaya's Immolating Inferno"}},{"insert":" is the exact same as long as we have a legend on the field, and can make sure our opponents die instead.\n\nThe number one failsafe for this deck is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Elixir of Immortality"}},{"insert":". If, for whatever reason, the deck is not prepared for the late game, shuffle the graveyard into the library can help get back the needed board wipes, removal spells and angels to help close out the game.\n\nBy far the most important card in this deck is "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Vedalken Orrery"}},{"insert":". I am not one to say that this deck should be in every Commander deck. But there is nothing more satisfying than being able to cast board wipes as a reaction to an attack or play angels at instant speed. While the deck functions just fine without this piece, it is definitely needed to help ensure victory.\n\n---\n\nIn my opinion, mana bases are always to taste. For example, I do not like any bounce lands, while other people adore them. For that, I don't think I'll ever touch on mana bases unless I have the inclination to write a deck tech on a lands deck. This is my first deck tech, and if anyone has any suggestions, comments or critiques, feel free to write them below. I will read each and every one of them, even if I do not get around to commenting. The full list for "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier"}},{"insert":" can be found "},{"attributes":{"link":"https://archidekt.com/decks/53386#Archangel_Avacyn,_All_of_My_Friends_are_Dead_:("},"insert":"here"},{"insert":". If enough people like this, I may write another one. I am always updating my decks when a new set comes out, so this might eventually become outdated. Though, the link will always be updated to whatever the current list is. I only update as I get cards so I do not confuse myself.\n"}]}
Edited 7/30/2019, 8:27:09 PM
2gherkins avatar2gherkins 4 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"This is super cool! Definitely my speed. Love the emphasis on impulsive draw and just the sheer number of boardwipes. have you ever considered running something like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Mind's Eye"}},{"insert":"? Seems like a solid mana-sink, although it might just hurt your curve too much. New "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Arcane Signet"}},{"insert":" seems good. "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faith's Reward"}},{"insert":" or "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Teferi's Protection"}},{"insert":" in conjunction with most boardwipes (yours or opponents) seems good. Anyways, great deck tech - read the whole thing! +1\n"}]}
bugz_the_cat avatarbugz_the_cat 4 years
{"ops":[{"insert":"I don't have "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Teferi's Protection"}},{"insert":" in my deck for budget reasons, but if someone wants to run that, it is an easy inclusion. The new signet is definitely a must add once it is out (assuming its price goes down from $20). I like "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Mind's Eye"}},{"insert":", but I tend to prefer to have my mana up and not rely on my opponents to draw cards. I've also noticed that, at least within my playgroup, that its an artifact that gets killed more often than not.\n\nBUT! If people want to include those, those are fantastic options.\n\nEDIT: with "},{"insert":{"card-link":"Faith's Reward"}},{"insert":", at least how I pilot this deck, I don't usually play creatures until way late into the game. So, usually my opponents resources are spent and I don't need to wipe the board too often.\n"}]}
Edited 9/1/2019, 1:58:27 PM